Sunday, March 01, 2020

invisible

Image result for i see colors gif

I see colors when I close my eyes.
I first noticed it in meditation class and it was a wonderful illumination for me.
Ideas flow and colors are beacons of emotions.

No one else can see the colors I see when I close my eyes;
They are invisible to everyone else.
I had a massage last week and mentioned to the therapist that 
I see a particular color when she works on my back.
She made a comment on what a lovely color it was and 
mentioned that another one of her clients, sees gold when she has her feet massaged.
It unfazed her and I was validated and understood.
It was no surprise or a weirdness to her.
*sigh*

I am finding that invisibility seems to be a reoccurring theme as of late.
I feel unseen for the most part...able to pass through the day unnoticed, or forgotten.
When the feeling floods me, I tend to send out love notes to friends.
Either by text or actual cards in the mail.
I send notes of encouragement
notes of love
notes to simply tell a person they are held in high regard
notes of strength to act as floats;hoping to keep your head above water
I send notes that say Hi I am checking in on you

For the most part these are not really acknowledged.
Like my notes become invisible once I drop them into the postbox.

I continue to send them despite the lack of response.
I believe that no matter what, kindness matters.
I send them because I want to, not that I expect a response.
(but isn't it nice to know they found their person?)

The Barren keeps asking what I want to do to celebrate my upcoming birthday.
I turn 50 this year...
a number I am still baffled at, but a number that designates
how many times I have spun around that glorious ball of burning gas in the sky.

I come up empty each time he asks.
Shrinking from embarrassment.
As much as I know how much this frustrates him, I have no ideas.
He keeps asking if I want a party?
I would love a party...but
Honestly, the first thing that comes to mind is " who would come? "
I could invite all those people I send love notes to,
but I am really scared no one would show up.
It would simply highlight how untangled I am among the people I know.

We've thrown parties before where everyone who says they are coming,
 calls the day of the party and tells us they can't make it...
leaving us with a table full of food and us in our PJ's dazed as to what happened.

I continue to try and reach out to people I meet at the yoga studio or in life
but keep coming up "hot potato-ed"

I know this sounds like a pity party...but I am really struggling to crack this code.
What do you do for your birthday if you are without people you spend time with?

My bestie lives a days drive away, and we have hopes to meet somewhere
half-way this year for a weekend girl getaway.
(that is something to be excited about)

I want to help hubby
Maybe if we simply go to a park and set out a picnic,
and if no one shows it would still be a nice day in a park with snacks
and not hurt as much as it feels right now.

Does anyone out there feel invisible?



5 comments:

Mali said...

Yes, at times I feel very invisible. Working from home (or not working, as the case is these days), and not even belonging to a gym anymore, makes me feel very invisible. I've also hosted a small party where only a few people turned up - the people who said they were coming didn't come. I've given up now. Dinner parties I can do, but that's it.

I know what you mean about being baffled at the number 50. I was too! Because I knew I wouldn't have a party, we did the inevitable (for me) and that was travel. My birthday was lovely - we visited a beautiful botanical garden in Cape Town, and drove to a wine village where we had an amazing meal at an amazing restaurant. Though I will admit that I felt kind of lonely for a while the day after my birthday, without anyone around except my husband, and few messages. I did consider inviting my closest friends out just for cocktails, but by the time I got home I didn't - I think I'll do that for my next big birthday, as I'll almost certainly travel again.

Regardless, my husband and I always go somewhere nice for dinner for our birthdays, or go away for a long weekend to somewhere lovely. I really like your idea of a picnic (I love picnics) too. Being somewhere beautiful, and relaxing, is a great way to celebrate.

(Do tell us when it gets closer to your birthday, so we can celebrate with you here.)

The Barreness said...

Mali- You are the kindest and sweetest person to always comment on my writing.
I will keep you in the loop, as I am sure there will be more existential crisis before the day...'

Lollipop Goldstein said...

Yes to feeling invisible sometimes. It is really hard to make new friends as an adult.

We do a beach day for my birthday. We're lucky the beach is a short day trip away, but any day trip will do. And then we only do what I want to do for a whole day. It's not hugely exciting (maybe not 50th birthday material?) but I love it. To get to spend a whole day reading by the water? It makes me happy.

Doogie said...

I had a long comment posted, but it all comes down the same thing. You may be unique, special and important, but in this feeling of being invisible, you are not alone.

Anonymous said...

I spent nearly all my 30's feeling that way. Every birthday was...challenging. My mom died in my early 30's and after that it was just suddenly- what do I do? My husband has never been one to do much fuss over birthday's and the whole thing just was always a letdown. Then we moved back to where my lifelong bestie lives- and the last few have been so much better. She always makes sure we do something- and suddenly birthday's are better again. But, I'm dreading that 50 is only a couple years away so I get it. And I'm so sorry you're having this trouble- I have awfully memories of planning a graduation party in high school and no one coming. XX