Monday, May 10, 2021

Hot Flash or Fever

I turned 51 on the 25th. I had another Covid birthday...it was quiet and I was glad my parents were healthy and fully vaccinated. I got my first hug from my parents in over a year...it was emotional, I got a drawing from my youngest niece. It is a drawing of me and The Barren looking at each other and when you place the two drawings side by side (like a friendship necklace) it forms one heart. 
I framed it when I got home. I have made my birthday cakes since going vegan because (I am protecting people) I didn't want to impose on others to make a special ingredient cake for me. 
The gathering was outside in the backyard and my mother made me a 14pound "cake" made out of watermelon and other fruit because she wanted me to be able to eat the whole thing. 
It made my heart explode...
And try as I might, I couldn't eat all the watermelon in time and ended up juicing it.

I dressed for the day again...blue polka dot peter pan collared dress
White basketball shoes and hairy legs. 

Last Tuesday, I got my second Dolly dose and waited until getting home to cry. I was overwhelmed, I was emotional, I was so thankful. I had seen a photograph earlier that week of a woman in India, visibly scared with an oxygen mask on her face while other women surrounded her and gazed at that mask. 
I looked at that image for a long long time. I felt their fear and their exhaustion...
I was lucky enough to get the vaccine, I was healthy...I was not going to die from this disease.
There are still STUPID people berating others for believing science, and their vaccine dose waits...
meanwhile others die from never having the opportunity.

It is a lot to digest...

Later that night, I started to play: " hot flash or fever"

My 30+hour fever started the night of the injection and by the morning, I felt every side effect from the paperwork list. Plus I got a "covid arm" from the vaccine. 

I thought everyone got a red swollen bump from shots...apparently not
I am at day 7 now, and it is almost not visible.
***

Then we roll into Mothers Day here in the US.
We have been on a waitlist with the recue group we adopted our cats from since November 2020
(right after we said goodbye to Xander)
After my second dose, we were invited to see 50 available kittens!
We went and spent 3hours meeting all of them... and hearing stories of how each of the in house mama cats had given birth there and the complications that some had encountered.
The kittens were all perfect and beautiful, the mama cats were enchanting and sweet and social.
The Barren kept going back to one enclosure and sitting with a teenage kitty.
I was sitting in the enclosure next to him and witnessed him falling in love.
The kitty walked into his lap, and fell asleep.
She looked at him the way our Theo used to look at him, 
it was so beautiful to see love transcend time and galaxies...it was his cat!!
I began to weep...it was such a powerful thing to witness!
When I entered the enclosure, I sat and she watched me. I leaned forward and asked her if she wanted to live with us....she walked over to me and got into my lap. 
She had selected her people.

We were offered the opportunity to foster her and have her give birth in our home!
We both went pale and said we were not emotionally stable enough if something was to happen.
After all she had just told us stories about the complications some of the mama cats had.
Our girl is YOUNG and SMALL and that scares us.
But of course, my IF talk came back into play and I began second guessing our choices...
Should we have her here now
Should be just "buckle up and grow some nerves"
should we...
what if we...

So for the record...
****
We didn't find a kitten, or even two...
we are adopting a pregnant teenage cat,
and when she gives birth, we will adopt one or more of her babies too...
The irony of the situation was not lost on me.

We left after telling the Rescue leader and I have signed up for volunteer hours 
(so I can visit her as she progresses to birth)

We are in our early 50's, 
we are adopting a teenager who is pregnant 
and will raise one or more of her babies too.
We are about three months away from having a kitty in our home again.
I am anxiously trying to get everything ready for them
Nesting?!
SERIOUSLY!!

When we got home Saturday night, I felt numb.
I half filled a tub and sat in it and began to wail...
Deep heaving crying...missing my kitty cats...wanting a connection like The Barren had gotten.
Fearful that it was all falling away from me.
I was like a woman possessed, I was wailing and talking to myself in whispers.
The Barren came in to find my in quite a bathtubbed state.
Crying, wailing, laughing whispering...like two people were having active conversations in my tub...
I sipped some water and The Barren sat to soothe me back into one mindbody.
I think that was all leftover from my sorrow...
I was so thankful that The Barren knew how to let it happen, and gave me space and no judgement.
I was mourning, and he recognized it.

Even in that moment-it was a reminder that my sorrow is deep, it travels across time, manifests in numbness, smiles and laughter. As I stepped out of the tub, intoxicated from the emotional ride I had just taken...I have learned to respect the space it needs from me, but not let it take over.

1 comment:

Infertile Phoenix said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!! Your birthday cake of fruit made by your looks delicious, and your drawing from your niece sounds very special. Here's to a wonderful year filled with innumerable moments of happiness!

Getting the vaccine was emotional for me too. So grateful I got to get it, so unfair that others in the world haven't had the opportunity yet. My side effects were pretty bad for a couple of days. Thank goodness for tylenol. I don't even want to imagine what actually getting covid would be like. Scary.

Kittens!! :) And your new teenage kitten picked you two! <3

Your last line is beautiful and something I want to remember forever. "I have learned to respect the space [my sorrow] needs from me, but not let it take over." Thank you.