Friday, April 17, 2020

Normal heartbreak

This is my youngest niece.
She is in first grade and this is her new normal.
I made her mask and never imagined I'd see a photo of her like this.
This is her back yard...I am thankful she has safer outdoor space but this just breaks my heart.
Her teachers and principal did one of those drive through the neighborhood and waving to the kiddos that are all now homeschooling. The teachers miss their students and this is their way to support them and show their love. What a crazy new way of seeing the world.

I have been distracted by making masks and mailing them to loved ones far and wide.
It is replacing my normal birthday karma*, and I am happy to do it and it has been a sense of helping in this whole crazy. I have made close to 80, but that number is about to go up as I am making a new set this weekend.
I am using all my old hoarded fabric from when I use to make kids clothes.
Talk about a cathartic turn.
I am watching these beautiful fabrics shrink as I send every new package out to full families.

* I give gifts to loved ones for my birthday every year, recently it has been a piece of artwork but this year it is masks.

The Barren and I are getting along just fine. 
I am thankful for that and I think it really highlights how we can really make this work for another 150 years together.
My birthday is the 25th and I have decided to make a cupcakes, drive the 40+ miles to my parents home and sit across the street and eat our annual birthday cake for breakfast together, apart.
That is the grand plan, that is what 50 will look like for me.
The Barren has agreed to come with and participate in the cake eating celebration.

I continue to listen to the science and plan on this taking longer than expected and getting scarier.
I continue to be thankful that my family and friends are healthy and following rules.
I am thankful for a lot of this upside down version of life.
I am just taking it one step atta time.

I fell twice in less that two weeks here at home; two good bruised up falls.
 As I move slowly and watch my body heal and ache, 
I am thankful that I am able to heal and have the space to do it slowly.
One was a slip on the tile of the bathroom (the same tile we've had for 20+ years) 
and the second was a trip over my work chair that had me land on my ass.
Twin bruises below my butt and a skipped down the rib-cage and stab into my side bruise,
 thanks to a framed artwork.
Thankful I didn't land on the cat who was right beside me !
Also thankful for the extra padding on my body...
as I was wailing in pain, I started laughing and confused The Barren.
He asked if I was mentally alright...
Through laughter I said, " My fat saved me!" 
So yours truly is shaking off this final year of her forties and in a deep metamorphosis into a 
MOTHER FUCKING BUTTERFLY
in time for my birthday!



1 comment:

Mali said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY for Saturday! I think you're already a beautiful butterfly. But who knows what metamorphosis you will experience in the next year.

I'm glad you have a plan to celebrate your birthday with your parents. We're not allowed to drive that far here. And once this is all over, imagine how ecstatic your in-person celebrations will be.

I'm sure the masks are appreciated. What a lovely way to show you care.
And ouch - hope you are healing well. And yes, I'm thankful you have the time and ability to heal.