Wednesday, February 16, 2022

This new year

 It has been a little bit since I've checked in here, 

Well, I check every couple of days and read your blogs, 

but it has been a little bit since I have sat down to write something.

So hello and happy new year

I never got our holiday cards made, and I even missed the chance to make them New Year cards, and now they can not be Valentine cards...so I need to let that rope loose.

I was sitting in my bathroom, after sneezing repeatedly from my nasal swipe home test, looking at this tiny piece of plastic....wondering what will the answer be?!

Anyone else been triggered by this act of home testing?

I was surprised at how quickly this became a flashback to days of yore.


I sat there for 15 minutes waiting, wondering and hoping for a negative so I could visit a friend who had tested that same morning and was also negative.
This is the new weekly normal it seems,
We test ourselves before visiting and then can hug and laugh and share a picnic.

I have been struggling to find a new normal for myself. 
A new studio practice, a new routine, a new self. It has come to my attention, that home chores are now a predominate part of my week. I sit in my workspace daily: often distracted/interrupted with making meals, doing laundry, being a cat entertainer and my anxiety from not making new artwork.

So I have taken to visiting with a friend weekly. I take my camera and shoot film and laugh and try and find a new moment of clarity and less guilt.

The Barren is home during this time, working and stressing and I am off playing with a friend.
It has me feeling conflicted, but The Barren assures me that he wants me to find this time to be creative.
I come home from these visits and either bring home food or immediately hit the ground running to make a meal when I walk in the door, as I am wanting to counterbalance these feelings...
I don't like that I feel this way...
I don't make much money anymore and The Barren is carrying the load. Once again he assures me that he wants me to have space and time to make art, as he feels that is my true calling.
I adore him more than words can describe for this vote of confidence.
I sold almost nothing last year (I just did our taxes) I made $148 from the sale of 3 packs of cards and two prints. So I am clearly not the next breadwinner in this house.
So in exchange I do all the housework, food shopping, laundry, dishes, cooking and dishes.
While still trying to make art, and check into my remote job (it is pretty quiet this time of year)
so that is what I have been doing.

The Barren turns 50 next week, he is feeling low and super stressed. (compounding my guilt)
I booked us an overnight at a hotel in a town about two hours from here. It is supposed to have ocean views and a balcony to watch said ocean.
An overnight means the cats can be left alone without needing a check-in from a third person.
I also sent an email out to everyone I could think of to send birthday wishes so I could put them into one book for him and he could see how special he is to so many people.
They are trickling in slowly, and that has raised my anxiety a little...but I am trying to let it swing in the wind. He will have wishes from a few for sure and I have a crafting project to make.
His best buddy has three concerts for them to attend in the next week. The Barren has been pretty isolated and hunkered down here at home in preparation (really it is social anxiety, and Covid fears)
for the last month! So that has added to his feelings I am sure...
But tomorrow he starts to break free and attend events outside the house.
We have a stack of home tests, and are crazy careful and cautious about masking around people.
So far, it has served us well, as neither of us has gotten the virus.
WHICH IS THE GOAL STILL

On another front:
I reached a milestone, well a touchstone? or a life marker?
I have not had a period in over a year now! 
I am in a whole new land.
I had a follow-up ultrasound to make sure that the polyp, that the GYN gave me while trying to take an endocervical pap was gone, and thankfully it was. All seemed calm on the cervical/uterine front ⭐
So here I am, avoiding going back to the gyn to try again for that same pap.

This new year has been trying and my gosh we are only just finishing up the second month.
I am feeling lonely, but as mentioned I continue to make real efforts to find a social feature outside my home once a week...and I am still doing online art discussion class, and yoga practice (at home) and meditation group (4 people in a HUGE multipurpose room with masks) but the overall feeling is still very isolated and alone. Like a thirst that is unable to be quenched.
Is anyone else feeling this too?

Okay, I am babbling again.
Happy newish year...I'll be back sooner to reflect on some thing or another.

4 comments:

Infertile Phoenix said...

So nice to read a new post from you! I hope you enjoyed seeing your friend. And, I am wishing The Barren a very happy birthday!!

I am feeling lonely too. So is my boyfriend. They don't wear masks where we live so we are always home. Plus, it's so hard to meet new friends when you move as an adult. Moving during a pandemic takes it to another level.

I'm looking forward to better days for all of us. <3

Mali said...

I'm really glad you are doing something social once a week. I'm trying to be better at that, or at least to remain conscious of the need to do it. Thanks for the reminder.

Ugh, the tests. Haven't started them here (up till now there has been no noed), but I'm sure the reminders will be there. Sorry you have suffered the flashbacks.

I was also very pleased to see you back here too.

Anonymous said...

I am definitely feeling it. For 2 years we've barely left the house. I was delighted to get to spend Thanksgiving with my friends/family this year- just 10 of us. And I dared to open we were turning a corner where I would start being able to be social again- I crave it. But, alas my husband was diagnosed with cancer, and has begun treatment which is likely to force me to be a hermit a while longer. He is fine with no social interaction- no change for him. For me? I feel adrift at a time when I need my friends more than ever as I watch him battle cancer.

loribeth said...

Belated happy birthday wishes to The Barren! I hope you had a fabulous getaway. I love your idea of compiling birthday wishes into a book; I will have to file that one away for future reference!

We are pretty isolated here as well. We do get to see dh's brother and his family now & then, but covid rates hereabouts are still too high for comfort. We haven't seen much of extended family, or gone out to a restaurant or the movies, since before covid (two years now!). Even so, the provincial government here decided it was time to drop most restrictions (??!)(capacity restrictions, vaccine passport requirements, etc.). We still have mask mandates, but I don't think those will be around for much longer either. So I guess we will be hibernating for a while yet...!