Thursday, October 10, 2019

Duck and Cover

Hiding from the world


I work with a sibling, we've worked together for decades...
either at a family business or an outside business run by someone else.
Regardless, we are still siblings and so that dynamic is still very much in play.

Yesterday was a tough one....
we fall on different sides of the spectrum on many issues and we are both strong willed so conversations can get heated but always civil.
Yesterday they arrived and put their soap box down and stepped on about a half an hour after arriving. 
The difference is that I recently have been listening and not commenting back-

firearms was the first topic
then meat
then critiques about how I respond to situations.

When tensions are highest, is when the business is under stress from deadlines 
and family responsibilities outside the office.
Yesterday, I knew was going to be tough because we are understaffed and there are A LOT of orders due...so I usually brush it all off and most things don't stick.
yesterday was an entire 8 hour shift of things being flung at me.
Our parents visited during that time and even commented that the day seemed to be lobbing a lot at me verbally.
I smiled and did not engage still.

When it was time to go, I was TOTALLY spent from holding up my mask of calm.
I got into the car and drove the hour home in silence.
I came home and feed the cat and fell into bed (fully clothed) and burrowed myself under a blanket despite the 80 degree F weather.
I fell into a daze for an hour...mentally housecleaning.
letting things out...letting things go...pulling words and situations off and out of my skin.
I ate a comfort meal of miso and ramen noodles and went to bed.

This morning I was awakened by the cat throwing up 
(most animal companion caretakers can shoot out of bed from a deep sleep to these sounds) 
I decided that today I was going to skip yoga class and simply be kind to me.

My take away was how it made me feel.
I need to tell them that their words hurt me.
That those same words spoken at home would hurt
I adore my sibling...and often we are a great team 
but yesterday was wicked

Today my state (the whole damn state) is on power shutoff notice....
Autumn has arrived.
the poison oak is in bloom and the wind and fire watch is at extreme.
and apparently tempers as well.

If you have gotten this far...
thanks for listening to me
I think you are amazing and kind and good 

1 comment:

Infertile Phoenix said...

I think *you* are amazing and kind and good. I really enjoy reading your writing. I especially appreciate the idea of "mentally housecleaning." I think I need to do that. Thank you!