Wednesday, October 12, 2022

Loading dose

 

Today I started my first dose of colitis/crohns medication.
I went to meditation this morning and wore a purple bra
(I am a firm believer that purple is a good luck color, well for me it is)
The nurse is nice and will be my nurse from here on out. 
We got the baby question out of the way right at the start with, 
"do you have any children"
to which I said, "no we don't, we just have each other"

The infusion center is in an allergy clinic, so there was a large group of people there to get allergy meds, crying babies and a lot of commotion.
The Barren came with me, and although he looked away when the needle stuff happened 
he was my solid dude 💓

Todays dose is called a loading dose, as they are loading a smaller dose today and then in two weeks I get another dose. I will be monitored for a bit afterwards to make sure I don't have any reactions. The another dose in 6weeks and then 8 weeks...and then I am on the schedule of every 8 weeks.
In between I will be having blood, stool and scans to monitor progress.
The medicine is designed to specifically target my gut, but it still makes me immunocompromised.
I will continue my vegan gluten free lifestyle, for life.

After the infusion we raced home, because The Barren had a work call and then the doorbell rang...
outside my front door was a man holding a huge arrangement of flowers.
My sweet Barren had a bouquet delivered.
The message read:
"this is one crazy ride, but I am glad I am on it with you"
💓💓💓

more tears, but also smiles

3 comments:

Infertile Phoenix said...

And, it's started! I'm sure it's not fun, but thank you for taking care of yourself. I may just be a blogger on the internet, but you are important to me.

Reading about your flowers made me smile. I'm glad The Barren is so thoughtful.

Mali said...

Aw, that's so lovely of the Barren. I got a little tear in my eyes at the thought. Good luck for the treatments, and yay for the purple bra! I'm quite fond of purple myself, and also have a purple bra. I'm a great believer in wearing things that bring us mental as well as physical support.

loribeth said...

Awww! Points to the Barren! :) Wishing you all the best with the treatments; I hope they help! One of my work colleagues had Crohns and colitis, and was hospitalized with it several times :( but has been doing better lately -- not surprisingly, her health started improving after she stopped working! Not always an option, of course...!