Thursday, March 21, 2024

Tumbled

 


On Feb 25th while showing off his seashell collection to a friend, my father tripped on a brick in the yard and fell, face first, into the concrete patio. He knocked himself unconscious and it took 5-7 minutes to be revived. Rushed to the ER via ambulance, it was determined that he had a brain bleed and was admitted to the ICU with a traumatic brain injury.

He spent 3 days in ICU and then an additional 2.5 weeks in rehabilitation regaining cognition, balance and speech (from brain to body). He was released home on Saturday of last week.

My life has forever been altered and spun out of control

With the exception of two Saturdays (which I stayed home to cook all day) I have been with my mother, as companion, advocate, translator, form filler, appointment maker, therapy coordinator, sounding board, personal chef and coordinator. I am also the main contact for all family to check in and ask for updates and information.

My brother made the 911 call to paramedics, after getting a call from my mother. He maintained calm while trying to revive our father. We work as a team. He has taken on all home alteration tasks, including ripping out and refurbishing their bathroom to make it safer and more accessible, opening walking paths in the yard and adding a rail to the front step, and any home repair that has arisen in the meantime. He is a business owner, so also has maintained his insane work schedule while also trying to be a parent.

We are both still traumatized from our past, when our grandparents lived with us because our grandfather had ALS and then our grandmother developed dementia.

We text each other all day, keeping things wide open in conversation. 

My hubby has held down the fort here, mostly. I have on many a night come home to laundry, meal preparation, and home tasks that were left for me.

I am constantly telling my mother:

People do what they can do. sometimes it is what you hope for, other times it will look very different.

Today I was the villain:

I told my father that he will not be able to renew his drivers license 

I read him his sleep study that showed he had severe sleep apnea, and needs to wear his CPAP with every nap and overnight sleep-time

I was the one who insisted he brush his teeth this morning, and then through my exhausted eyes handed him the wrong tube and he brushed his teeth with anti-itch cream.                                                           (it was remedied, and laughed about, but that doesn't change my mistake)

My father has seriously impaired short term memory now, as well as his balance, and he needs to walk with a walker. He doesn't remember how many times a night he gets up to pee, triggering the bed alarm so he can not go solo. I did an overnight shift on his first night home, staying awake all night to accompany him to the toilet and ideally allowing my mother to sleep, but that proved futile. My mother is a lite sleeper and was involved every time and my father is still confused why he needs the walker or company. He just doesn't remember. It is frustrating when he is angry at the attention, because he doesn't remember the fall or the rehab or the reason he needs a walker or wheelchair. He doesn't remember if he had lunch, or if someone visited him that day. He didn't remember a phone call he made to my brother an hour later.

I am glad to have the flexibility to help, honored in many ways to advocate for them, but I am losing myself in the process of helping and it scares me. 

People do what they can do. sometimes it is what you hope for, other times it will look very different.

I am a zombie.

2 comments:

Infertile Phoenix said...

Oh, Barreness, I am so sorry. This is what I see at work every day working in both the acute care and short-term rehab settings, and I am so sorry this is what you are dealing with. You and your brother are doing everything right!! But, that doesn't make it any easier.

I agree with Mali that it's okay to ask for help from people in the outer circles (referencing psychology's ring theory). I know your plate is full and you are being pulled in all directions with many new roles now, but somehow you have to make sure you are getting enough rest, food, and a daily moment to yourself. Laundry can wait. You can always buy more socks and underwear if needed. But then, I don't want to tell you what to do because you are already under enough stress.

I wish I could help alleviate some of your caregiver burden. You are doing so well in an extremely undesired situation. Sending love, hugs, and patience. Love, Phoenix

Anonymous said...

Barrenness, I am so very sorry (I’m here from Mel’s roundup - it’s Turia from Res Cogitatae). My Dad became a ventilator-dependent quadriplegic after a freak accident on holiday in 2016. I well remember the absolute chaos of the first few months and how my sisters and I were constantly trading off who could be there (none of us lived in the same city as him).

My Dad had no cognitive damage so it was a different situation from what you’re facing but it was without a doubt a dividing line in my life.

You are still in the acute crisis part of things. When you eventually move into the chronic stage of the crisis, if you can make the time for therapy to help you process everything that has happened, I would encourage you to do so. There are so many layers to these situations and it is hard to grieve the loss of the person you knew while that person is still alive, if very much altered. My Dad died last year (from cancer, not his injury) and my sisters and I thought we would be somewhat shielded from his death because we had already grieved and mourned for so much and for so long…but the absolute finality of that loss was something entirely different.

Sending you so much empathy and love.