Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Yesterday and the years before

***warning I talk about death and children***


Yesterday was hard....it wasn't suppose to be and I hadn't planned for it to be.
I got up at 4:15am to get ready for my yoga class...and as I normally do I check the news for accidents, check to see who the teacher for class is
 and social media while I wake up calmly and pull my hair up.
that is when I saw it....I read the words and then only heard a ringing in my ears:

"Goodbye My Love, I will miss you terribly. 
You found the second love letter card from me this morning but never got to open it.
My Wife of 14.5 years (+5.5 years dating) has passed away from heart failure today at noon. She has had health challenges for quite sometime, so this maybe some welcome relief for her.
She was a wonderful woman with a beautiful soul. She made friends easy and captured me on our first meeting with her boy on her knee.

I'm still in shock while I write you all this notice and I'll be back to tell you more later."

The person this husband is referring to was a dear friend from high school.

I met her in high school, she was in our art gaggle, and a talented painter.  She was the token headbanger and wore leather mini dresses and was quick to laugh. She had gotten a full scholarship to the local UC college but was unable to accept it, as around the same time, she became pregnant from a guy who wanted nothing to do with the baby.  She graduated and decorated her mortar board with the words "it's a boy". My bestest and I attended the birth of her son just a few weeks after we graduated. We were there to take photographs at her request. She had to give birth on her hands and knees as she was in a car accident* before getting pregnant and had hurt her back. 
We heard her labor and all she said was "ow that hurts"
She became a single mom, and was asked to move out of the family home as her father could not bare the fact that his daughter was unwed and a mother by the age of 18. 
She went back to school and became a nurse. It was then that she developed a severe latex allergy...so severe that she would pass out, from being unable to breathe, she finally got a service dog and it was these dogs that saved her from death many many times over. 
She still thrived, and found true love in a man that took every moment of the day to make her life wonderful, comfortable and fun.
Her son grew up, joined the marines and is now a sheriff locally.
She fought for animals, had a small menagerie of her own and crafted . 
She joined medical trials to find a cure for this horrible disease that was in every corner of her life outside of the joy.
She had developed seizures that would wipe away short term memories, and recently she passed out at their woodside cabin and had to be airlifted to the ICU, where they found she had low potassium levels. 
They were changing her medications and I guess the strain to her heart was just too much this last time and she left . Freeing herself from her body.

I was unable to think after reading her husband's words, I climbed back into bed and The Barren asked if I had had a nightmare and I whispered "Kara died" and let the tears fall down my face as he wrapped his arm around me. I fell back to slept with a heaviness in my chest that made it a labor to breathe.
When I work up I thought I had dreamt the whole thing...but it was not the case.
I spent the day quiet and watched downton abbey and ate and napped....I texted my bestest and we both agreed that we were really messed up from the news and would call each other later in the day to cry it out together. I was sitting curled in a blanket when the Barren came home and handed me a bag of kettle popcorn, he sat beside me and said nothing but simply shared the bag and we watched something on the screen. He made dinner for us: vegan pancakes and kissed me 
When my bestest called it was the best thing in the world to hear her voice. 
She remembered the car accident*: Kara and her best friend were in her beloved mustang stopped at a signal headbanging to some song on the tapedeck and got rear ended and they both got whiplash. They proudly came to school the next day with neck braces and laughing about it. 
I remembered us making the 1st birthday cake for her son and choosing bright green filling as it would make the biggest mess when he ate it !
The talk and the memories helped us both. 
My bestest said that although she had her son so young and it made her life rough, it was most likely one of the biggest wonderful in her life. As she was able to watch him grow into the man he is today. Giving her a huge sense of pride. If she had waited she might not have been given that opportunity.
I agreed and it made sense to me.

Hug your friends dear ones, hug the ones you want to but hesitate to.
Hug the ones you always hug.

3 comments:

Mali said...

I'm so sorry you lost your friend. I really don't know what else to say except to say I'm sending my love and hugs across the ocean.

Amel said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. HUGS!!! This is a lovely tribute to her.

nicole said...

I am so so sorry for your loss. She sounds like a wonderful person who was full of positivity and determination. That is a lovely picture... I'm always a few weeks late on everything, but I'm sending you hugs and positive thoughts.