Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Punk Rock Girl


I am still punk rock!

Okay let me back up....
So I sold an artwork to someone a couple of years ago. 
Turns out this person is a BIG TIME collector and it means something real.
She is also quite the socialite in town and often hosts events in her home.
I was able to attend one about a year and a half ago, and listen to lecture given by a woman who wrote books about some of the founding mothers of contemporary art.
At said party, we were encouraged to socialize and eat little treats etc...
that was when I saw my artwork on the wall!
It was a thrill and then a HORROR as I realized I had not signed my work!

I thought about all night and when I wrote my thank you card, I mentioned that I would love to return for five minutes and sign the work. 
No response...so all this time it has set in my heart as a failure on my part.

Well, last night there was another meeting at the home of the hostess once again!
I daydreamed about remedying the situation but tried to fall on the side of 
" it is her artwork now, leave it be"
The home and art collection on display was beyond impressive once again

Yoko Ono work

Pretty little canapes were out in a rainbow of colors
I socialized and got a hot flash...
I saw a friend and asked if there was a cooler room that she had discovered. 
She mentioned the hostess's office which was open for visitors 
to see the continued art collection.

I met a woman in this room whom I chatted up while cooling off...
we admired the same work and talked about what we loved about certain pieces
I asked if she was an artist
 (this event was hosting artists, curators, museum directors, gallery owners and art writers)
She was and asked if I was as well
I mentioned that my artwork was just in the other room
She asked to see it.
When I looked at it my heart sank...and I mentioned to her that I had forgotten to sign it...
She grabbed it off the wall and said "do it now!"

I giggled and eagerly took the frame into the adjoining room and opened it up and popped out the mat and signed the work. Then just as quickly, popped it back into the frame and locked it all back up. She was by my side the whole time telling me how common it is to forget to sign work...
and that the collector would want me to.

After my act was done, she asked if I could breathe...
I said..."so deeply" it was like my work was a whole piece in a collection now.
I felt vindicated 
and a bit PUNK ROCK

1 comment:

nicole said...

Love, love, love this story!! How fun and great. I'm glad you had a partner in crime to help you accomplish your mission! It's great to still do those rebellious acts.